Who said that being natural was easy? It is hard enough trying to find styles that fit you, but it is even harder trying to find the right products for your hair. As a natural hair sister, you have to be conscious of what you are putting in your hair and how much you are putting in your hair. Personally I have found YouTube as a helpful source for new products I could try on my hair. But first before purchasing your natural hair care products remember to read the back of the label to check for harmful ingredients that are not healthy for your natural hair. Here are the top 10 ingredients to avoid putting in your hair:
- ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL
- MINERAL OIL & PETROLATUM
- POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL (PEG)
- PROPYLENE GLYCOL (PG)
- SODIUM LAURYL SUFATE (SLS) & SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE (SLES)
- DEA (diethanolamine) MEA (momoethnanolamine) TEA (triethanolamine)
- FD & C Color PIGMENTS
- IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA and DMDM HYDANTOIN
If you see any of the ingredients above in your products PUT IT DOWN! These products will do nothing but rip your hair from its natural state. Now I will give you some great products that will help you with your natural hair journey. But remember not all hair is alike so find what works for your hair; some will not work for all. Keep experimenting!
Pre- poos: A treatment applied prior to shampooing that consists of oils and/ or conditioners.
- Burt’s Bees Avocado Butter Pre- Shampoo Hair Treatment
- Castor Oil
- Virgin Coconut Oil
- Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment
- Jessicurl Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner
Shampoos: Every natural hair sister needs a good, effective shampoo. Shampoo as often as necessary, the more products used the more often your hair should be shampooed.
- Giovanni Shampoo 50:50 Balanced Hydrating- Clarifying
- SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo
- SheaMoisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo
- Kinky- Curly Come Clean Moisturizing Shampoo
- Miss Jessie’s Super Slip Sudsy Shampoo
Co-washes: Generally consists of using conditioner in place of shampoo.
- As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleaning Conditioner
- As I Am Cleaning Pudding
- As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner
- Hamadi Ginger Soymilk Hair Wash
- Mizani True Textures Cleansing Cream Conditioning Curl Wash
Instant Conditioners: “Instantly” moisturizes the hair and makes it easier to manage
- Aussie Moist Conditioner by Lush
- Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curls and Waves Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner
- Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Conditioner
- Miss Jessie’s Crème de la Crème Conditioner
Deep Conditioners: can yield many great results, such as moisturizing hair, which make it more manageable and restores nutrients such as protein.
- Motions Deep Conditioning Mask
- Pantene Curly Hair Series Deep Moisturizing Treatment
- Jessicurl Deep Conditioner
- Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner
- Organic Roots Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise
Leave- in Conditioner: will provide your natural hair with moisture and nourishment it will need until your next wash day.
- Cantu Shea Butter Leave- in Conditioner Repair Cream
- Kinky- Curly Knot Today
- Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Leave- In Conditioner
- SheaMoister Organic Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
- Mixed Chicks Leave- in Conditioner
Oils and Sealants: Sealing the hair especially the ends is a very important step in your hair regimen. For sealing to be effective use a water- based moisturizer and then seal with an oil.
- Argan oil
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- Vatika Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Virgin Coconut Oil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Grape Seed Oil
Stylers: Results in a more controlled, sleeker, and more voluminous look.
- Aloe vera gel
- Kinky- Curly Curling Custard
- Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist Gel
- Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing
- As I Am Twist Defining Cream
- Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer
- Blended Beauty Happy Nappy
- Curls Whipped Cream
- Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue
- Miss Jessie’s Stretch Silkening Cream
Whether you are transitioning or have been natural all your life this hair product list is a great start. Find a daily routine that fits you and your hair and keep a hair journal to document your beautiful hair journey. Until next time my natural hair sisters, love yourself and most importantly your hair!